Natural remedies for ailments are becoming increasingly popular. Tea tree oil has been around for years, but because of this movement towards natural products it has moved back into the spotlight. Some people are happy to exercise a little patience when treating skin tags in order to keep their regimen natural. If this sounds like you, tea tree oil is a great solution. Putting tea tree oil on skin tags is a very common approach to relieving itching and minimizing scarring when removing skin tags. Tea tree oil is a powerful antiseptic and excellent for treating wounds.
Why use tea tree oil on skin tags?
There can be several faster options to remove skin tags but nothing can match the anti-microbial and antiseptic properties that this oil possesses. Being an all-natural treatment option it has healing properties and is safe for the skin.
If you have a cluster of skin tags you can treat the entire area by directly applying the oil. Most alternatives require a time-consuming and precise application process which means you are probably more likely to miss a few applications. Moreover, this is a pain-free skin tag removal option that reduces the chances of bleeding or scarring after removal. You’ll be able to find out whether it’s working for you in between 3 and 8 weeks.
What is tea tree oil?
Also sometimes referred to as melaleuca oil, tea tree oil is an essential oil obtained from the tea tree through the process of evaporation and distillation. This oil can be derived from several plant species of the Myrtaceae family, although the commercially available products are generally obtained from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia. This colorless essential oil is frequently included in various dermatological and cosmetic products. However, it should not be consumed orally! It has a proven track record of curing various dermatological complications and provides a healthy-looking skin. It has been known to treat common problems like acne, cold sores, warts, dermatitis and athlete’s foot.
How to apply tea tree oil to the skin?
There are several methods for applying tea tree oil to remove skin tags such as:
- Clean the affected area thoroughly.
- Dip a cotton ball lightly in some water
- Soak the cotton ball with tea tree oil and apply it directly to the skin.
- Leave the cotton ball there for 10 – 20 minutes.
- Remove the cotton ball and cover the area with a band-aid.
- Repeat the process two to three times daily for faster results.
- Combine 5 drops of fresh lemon juice with 4 drops of organic apple cider vinegar and 3 drops of tea tree oil in a container.
- Soak a cotton ball into the solution and apply it to the skin tags.
- Cover the area with a band-aid and leave it to soak in.
- Repeat the process several times daily for about 10 days.
- Combine a teaspoon of castor oil with 3 to 4 drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply it to the affected skin after proper cleansing.
- Cover with a band-aid and let the mixture soak in.
- Clean the area well before repeating application the next day.
Other combination options
Above are three of the easiest and commonly used natural remedies. There are other combination treatments as well which are known to be equally effective. Tea tree oil when combined with the following ingredients can increase its potency for removing skin tags –
- Cashew Plant is known for its antibacterial, astringent, anti-dysenteric and antiseptic properties.
- Fig plants have antibacterial and antiseptic properties that dry the skin tag.
- Bloodroot can help to clear dead skin tissues.
Certain precautionary measures
Although there is a host of treatment options that can be followed with tea tree oil on skin tags there are certain precautionary measures that need to be followed:
- Never ingest tea tree oil directly.
- Do not apply the oil in sensitive areas like the eyes, anus and genital areas.
- Dilute the oil with other ingredients before application.
- If you are taking any medications that affect your skin, consult with your physician before applying any topical treatments.
Is it a safe option?
Using tea tree oil on skin tags is probably one of the safest and the most effective home remedies for the removal of skin tags. Many people who prefer to go for home-made solutions consider tea tree oil as the first choice for skin tag removal. There is a saying that patience is a virtue and this perfectly applies to this remedy. It might not be the fastest option but is one of the safest. Before using, please do a patch test on your skin to ensure you are not allergic to any of its ingredients.
Our Recommended Tea Tree Oils
|Brooklyn Botany AAA Australian Tea Tree Oil|
|Apothecary Extracts Australian Pharmaceutical Grade Tea Tree Oil|
|Disclosure: We may receive compensation if you purchase a product using one of the above links.|